Table of Contents
Sonam Wangchuk (Engineer) Height, Weight, Date of Birth, Age, Wiki, Biography, Family and More
Sonam Wangchuk is an Indian engineer and innovator, A Bollywood film ‘3 Idiots’ has also been made on his life. He is originally from Leh-Ladakh. He has been awarded by many awards for the his social cause.
Birth & Family
Sonam Wangchuk was born on 1 September 1966 in Uley Tokpo area of Ladakh. He is the son of Indian national congress party member and politician Sonam Wangyal. He lived in such inaccessible places in Ladakh, where there was no electricity and education. As a politician father, his education was completed in Srinagar and Delhi.
Wangyal died a few years ago, leaving behind eight children. Wangchuk has three brothers who run a small business in Leh. Apart from them, he has 5 half-brothers and sisters. One of his sisters is employed as a doctor in Delhi and another as a pilot at Indian Airlines in Kolkata. His third sister is a sub-judge in Leh.
|Real Name||Sonam Wangchuk|
|Also Known as||Snow Warrior|
|Date of Birth||1 September 1966|
|Age(as in 2020)||54 Years|
|Birth Place||Uley Tokpo, Ladakh|
|Home Town||Ladakh, India|
|Family||Mother : Not Available|
Father : Sonam Wangyal (Politician; Member of Congress Party)
Sister: 3 Sisters
Brother : 4 Four Brothers
Wife : Not Available
|Address||Uley Tokpo, Ladakh, India|
Born in an geographically difficult area, Wangchuk’s early education was given by his mother. The school was located about 150 km far from his house. At the age of 7, he took admission in the Kendriya Vidyalaya of Srinagar. In the early school days, he had to face a lot of problems. He neither knew Hindi nor English. After studying for some time from this school, he went to the Vishesh Kendriya Vidyalaya in Delhi to study. Sonam got degree in mechanical engineering from Srinagar’s National Institute of Technology.
Education Details and More
|School||Kendriya Vidyalaya, Srinagar|
Vishesh Kendriya Vidyalaya, Delhi
|College||National Institute of Technology, Srinagar|
National Superior School of Architecture in Grenoble, France
|Educational Qualification||B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering|
Masters in Earthen Architecture
Popularity and Social Cause
After receiving education, Sonam returned to Ladakh. He set up a school with the brothers named Students’ Educational and Cultural Movement of Ladakh (SECMOL) in Ladakh, He took loan of 40 thousand rupees for this school. Within a few months, he paid off his loan with full interest. He is also given training to develop innovative ideas along with the teaching to students in this school. Ladakh is naturally isolated, no government schemes can reach here. That is why he took the initiative to solve the problem of this area.
Sonam is known today for his work in Ladakh in all over India. Impressed by his life, Bollywood film maker Rajkumar Hirani also made a film 3 Idiots on him. In which the film’s character of Rancho was influenced by Wangchuk.
Physical Stats and More
|Height||5′ 8″ Feet|
|Body Shape||Chest: 40 inches|
Waist: 32 inches
Biceps: 12 inches
|Hair Colour||White and Black (white due to age)|
|Hobbies||Reading, Travelling, Listening Music|
Social Media Presence
Some Facts About Sonam Wangchuk
- Sonam Wangchuk was born in a small area of Ladakh.
- Due to lack of school in the village, his mother gave him initial basic education.
- Wangchuk took admission in Vishesh Kendriya Vidyalya, Delhi in 1977.
- An engineer-uncle told him that he can do anything in life if he does mechanical engineering. For this reason, he took admission in a college in Srinagar.
- Wangchuk’s father wanted to make him a civil engineer but he earned a degree in mechanical engineering.
- The father refused to give him money, after which he completed his studies by giving tuition to the children.
- After graduating in 1987, he opened his school SECMOL in Leh.
- He is a multilingual, he can speak Ladakhi, Hindi, Urdu, English, Tibetan and Swedish. Apart from this, he also has knowledge of French, German, Sanskrit and Pali languages.
- He gives importance to designing alternative energy systems in his school, his training center located in Phey is completely based on solar energy. Here the lighting, cooking, pumping water and heating rooms are all powered by solar energy.
- SECMOL’s publishing wing, Melong Publications, brings out children’s story books, magazines, newsletters, posters, and stickers in colloquial Ladakhi.
- He was appointed as a member of the National Governing Council for Elementary Education in the Ministry of Human Resource Development in 2005.
- A prototype Ice Stupa was developed by Wangchuk, in which water is stored by making artificial glacier. He made this prototype in 2013.
- He appeared as a guest on a television show “Kaun Banega Crorepati”. The show was hosted by Amitabh Bachchan.
- Sonam Wangchuk had made some videos during China-India border dispute time which was liked a lot.
If you have more details about Sonam Wangchuk. Please comment below we will updated within a hour.